Organizations can have compelling reasons for keeping a legacy system, such as:
• The system works satisfactorily, and the owner sees no reason to change it.
• The costs of redesigning or replacing the system are prohibitive because it is large, monolithic, and/or complex.
• Retraining on a new system would be costly in lost time and money, compared to the anticipated appreciable benefits of replacing it (which may be zero).
• The system requires near-constant availability, so it cannot be taken out of service, and the cost of designing a new system with a similar availability level is high. Examples include systems to handle customers' accounts in banks,computer reservations systems, air traffic control, energy distribution (power grids), nuclear power plants, military defense installations, and systems such as the TOPS database.
• The way that the system works is not well understood. Such a situation can occur when the designers of the system have left the organization, and the system has either not been fully documented or documentation has been lost.
• The user expects that the system can easily be replaced when this becomes necessary.
• Newer systems perform undesirable (especially for individual or non-institutional users) secondary functions such as a) tracking and reporting of user activity and/or b) automatic updating that creates "back-door" security vulnerabilities and leaves end users dependent on the good faith and honesty of the vendor providing the updates. This problem is especially acute when these secondary functions of a newer system cannot be disabled.
CloudMail lets you efficiently send e-mails from FileMaker to any size audience - a single recipient, a 30-person department, a 20,000 person newsletter list, or a million person municipal database. In addition to sending, it tracks who receives the message, who views it, and who clicks any links in the message. It handles unsubscribe requests automatically, and if a recipient files a complaint with their ISP, they are automatically excluded from future mailings. Undeliverable e-mail messages are reported as well, so you can keep your mailing list fresh.